Lately there have been more and more focus on exactly what the Facebook and Messenger apps are doing on your phone. And the revelations have been quite an eye opener for a lot of people. There is no logical reason for Facebook reading your phone contacts list, your text messages or any other content on your phone.
Especially Android users have been affected by this, because on the Iphone there are more restrictions.
However, I’m going to show you how you can use Facebook and Messenger on your phone without having to worry about the Facebook corporation accessing anything on your phone:
- If you have the Facebook and Messenger apps installed on your phone, uninstall them now
- Open your phone’s web browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera Mini etc)
- Go to this adress: https://mbasic.facebook.com/
- Log in to your Facebook account. If your web browser asks you for permission to give you notifications, you can safely accept.
- You will now see the basic version of Facebook:
- Click on the browser’s menu button and choose Add to homescreen:
- An icon will now be placed on your home screen on your phone:
- Use this icon to open and browse Facebook.
That’s it. Now you can use Facebook and Messenger without having to worry about giving away your data or information about your cell phone contacts and text messages.
Be warned thought, that the basic version of Facebook is just that: Basic. Most of the functionality will be there, but it’s a bit more cumbersome to use. But after a while, you get used to it.